Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 7: August 2, 2011

Wow! So I've already been here a whole week! It doesn't seem like that long, but today was my seventh day here in Beijing. Everything is starting to get easier and I am beginning to settle into life here.

This morning I was studying at the bus stop and two old Chinese came up to me and started quizzing me on my workbook. They said I did very good. This was my second interaction with a common person of Beijing. Sometimes they stare at me and look interested but don't say anything. These ladies were standing right next to me, watching me study, and then they started to quiz me. I was surprised that I didn't mess up the answers under pressure!

Anyway, today I had class again, and I literally studied Chinese for 8 hours straight. I had class from 8 to 12, then I went to the library right after until almost 2, when I had a tutor from 2 to 4. When I got home, I took a break from studying and read a book and relaxed. Then mom came home and she made dinner with Jing Jing. Tonight we had dofu (tofu), mifan (rice), tang (soup) with some noodles that Jing Jing told me are usually made from green beans, jidan (eggs) with tomatoes (which I really really love), and some kind of cooked vegetable that I wasn't too fond of. It was green and thin and ridged. I don't know what it was, but it tasted kind of bitter and sharp. I would eat it again, but maybe just one or two pieces.

After dinner, Jing Jing, mom, and I went for a walk down the street. Tonight was the first time I've been outside in Beijing at night. The weather was really nice and cool today, and tonight was no different. There was a good breeze and the dark night felt nice. Of course there were people everywhere you looked. There is never no one in sight in Beijing. No matter where you are it seems like there are at least 20 people around you at all times. I guess that's one thing I didn't realize: there are really a ton of people here. You may feel alone in this city sometimes, but you will never be without company.

Tonight I really began to feel welcome here again. At dinner I talked more with my host family, and it was nice to go on a walk with them tonight. We even stopped in a small clothing shop and looked at a few things. Tomorrow I might go back down the street after tutoring and look at the shops there. Hopefully I won't be too tired. I'd really like to go to other places and investigate shops or sights, but it's been hard because I am so busy with class all day. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will venture down the street for a little while. If not, then I'll just have to wait until this weekend to get some shopping in. Maybe Jing Jing can take me to the best market or store to shop at.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the campus I took today. Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. The campus is beautiful! Happy you are beginning to feel more settled. Love the story about the people quizzing you at the bus stop!

    ReplyDelete