Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 29: August 24, 2011

I can't believe today was my last day in China. It seems like just yesterday I was complaining about wanting to go home, and now I don't even want to leave!

Today was pretty busy, even on my last day. I woke up at 5:30 for no apparent reason, besides the fact that I'm an early riser. So I hung out for a bit, then went outside and got some breakfast (that delicious egg pancake thing) and walked to BLCU. Apparently we had class today, but only two other students showed up and no professor, so we just left.

I hung out on campus for a while, then took the bus to Lotus. I called my parents again, and then it was time to make dumplings! We made the dumplings and other dishes were already prepared to go with them. We had the dumplings, rice, a potato dish, cabbage dish, tofu, eggs and tomatoes, and soup. Everything was so good, and I ate too much!

Afterward, I finished filling out a survey for Lotus and then headed out. I couldn't decide what to do after that. I had to be back at BLCU at 5:30, but it was only 1 and so I had a lot of time to kill. I decided to go walk around a bit. I got this drink at McDonald's which was fruit-flavored with some Sprite in it and a swirl of vanilla ice cream. Very good! They should sell it in the U.S. McDonald's.

Then I found a bookstore really close, so went in to look around. They had TONS of books...3 huge floors, plus a floor of DVDs and CDs. I bought a Chinese TV series I've watched before, and 3 Chinese CDs. I wanted to know who popular singers were, so my buying experience was interesting. It was cool because I had to ask the salesperson who was popular and who she liked, and she helped me pick some really good CDs actually. I'm listening to them now and will put them on my iPod for the plane ride home.

Then I walked to the apartment from Lotus. On the way I ate a moon cake I bought. Actually, i bought two and had one this morning. The first one from this morning was really good and had the bean paste in it that is popular in a lot of Chinese deserts. The second one wasn't as delicious; it had a different filling, a little fruity tasting but kind of odd too. It wasn't bad, I just preferred the first one more. So good thing I bought two of those instead of two of the fruity one! I will have the second one tomorrow before I leave. Ahh, I can't believe I have to leave! On the walk, I also stopped in the grocery store and took pictures of it so everyone can see what it looks like. I bought some Oreos too, because they had strawberry filling! They taste really good...we should have them in America too.

When I got home, I hung out for a bit and downloaded my new music to my computer. Then I took the bus to BLCU and met my professor and classmates for dinner at the convocation center. Everyone from the 4-week session was there (except if they already left for home) so there were a ton of people! We sat at tables with our classes and received our transcripts and had a wonderful meal. Overall it was a good end to my experience at BLCU.

I headed back home and showered and began to organize my suitcases for tomorrow. Then I met with the Chinese guy again to say a goodbye. He is in school doing animation, so he showed me some of the stuff he is working on, which was really cool! He also bought me another interesting snack...something in a cup that was a little sweet and milk, but with the consistency of a solid yogurt (like Yoplait's Thick and Creamy) and some sweet beans. It was very good, but I couldn't finish it all because I ate way too much today and am totally stuffed!

Now I'm just hanging out in my host family's apartment. I talked to Jing Jing for a little and we exchanged emails. Then my host mom gave me a cute good luck charm in the shape of a fish. I feel bad because I forgot to get them a gift, and I really wish I did to thank them for all that they have done for me. Maybe I can find something quickly tomorrow before I go. It's so sad that I have to leave. I know I've said it a few times before, but now I'm really REALLY getting settled here. The whole thing has been a learning process and an adjusting process. It's unfortunate that right as I am beginning to adjust even more, I have to head back to America. But next time I come to China (I hope there is a next time) I guess I will be able to adjust that much quicker because of my experiences this time.

I can't wait to show everyone all the things I've seen. My pictures are ranging in the 1500s now...and probably more will be taken tomorrow before I leave. I will get picked up at 1pm tomorrow, and my flight leaves around 6:30. Then I'll get to the U.S. on Thursday around 8pm. I hope I can survive the flight...I'm not looking forward to it, but I know I can do it because I have already done it once. I have a few good books to keep me occupied, and a lot of new music, so I think it will be all right.

I'll post one last blog tomorrow before I leave. Until then, enjoy the day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment