Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 14: August 9, 2011

So I've been here two weeks!! Two down, two to go. Sometimes time seems really slow, and other times I can't believe I've already spent two weeks here. I've been so busy doing lots of things, which makes time go by fast, but at the same time I can't wait to get back home and see everyone because I miss them all.

Class went okay today. Laoshi (teacher) forgot to tell us to skip 第八课 (lesson 8) and prepare for 第九课 (lesson 9) instead, so we weren't really prepared for today's class. Other than that, it went well, and I think I am starting to understand her speaking more and I am able to follow along a lot better it seems like, which is pretty exciting! I am learning a lot of new words, but I just wish we were learning how to write them also, and I wish it wasn't so fast-paced, but that's what I get for only staying here a month. I'm dreading the flight home. It wasn't bad coming here at all. I didn't feel sick or nauseous. It's just the fact that I know that I have to sit on the plane for 14 hours, and that is what is making me squirm.

But enough about that. So after class I bought something to eat. I got this bun/croissant with chocolate in it and it was so good because it tasted like chocolate frosting and reminded me of a cupcake, which I miss because they don't really have much dessert here. I have been getting ice cream a few days on the way home because it's been so hot out, and I bought some dove chocolate, but you don't see many people eating desserts in China.

Today I also lost my voice. My throat hurt on Sunday when I woke up, got better yesterday, then hurt yesterday night and through today. By 7:30 tonight I had no voice. Jing Jing gave me some throat lozenges and hot water. My family asked if I wanted to go to the doctor, but I said I would be fine, and if tomorrow I feel bad I will go get medicine or have them take me to the doctor. Hopefully it will pass tonight and I will be ready for the day tomorrow.

One last exciting thing that happened today: we had a huge thunderstorm. This is only the third time it's rained since I've been in Beijing. The other two times weren't that bad, but this storm was full of tons of lightening and really loud thunder and heavy rain. Our windows were open in the apartment and rain came in and soaked the floors! I had to run and shut my window, but not before it drenched the windowsill and part of the floor. Despite this, I am glad it rained because it was a really cool storm and also helped the weather cool down. Now there is a nice breeze coming through my window and I don't even have to use the fan at the moment. It's supposed to be really hot again tomorrow, but hopefully the rain will have cooled things down a bit.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Now that you're back in Beijing, it reminded me to ask about the weather in Miyun (sp?). Was the air clearer? Blue skies?
    I imagine the next post will answer this question, but, are you feeling better? I would be really nervous about seeing a doctor in a foreign country. Keeping a many days delayed good thought for you to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather was so much nicer in Miyun! Clearer skies, beautiful summer breeze. It was really nice.

    ReplyDelete