Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 15: August 10, 2011

Today I still had no voice when I woke up. And it is still missing. My host dad got me some medicine at the store, so hopefully I will be better tomorrow. Until then, I will have to communicate by sign language and whispering.

My adventure today concerns Walmart. I got back from studying early because my tutor had something to do, so we are going to make up the lost time tomorrow and Friday. So when I got home, I ate some lunch and studied and read a little bit. Around 5 I decided I wanted to figure out where Walmart is located.

I found that it's only two bus stops away (about a 15 minute walk), so I went out to find it. When I got there, it was kind of exciting because it was something familiar that we have in the US. But it was still different than America of course. They had a grocery in the Walmart, like many do in the U.S. But then they also had a food bar-like thing, like something you would see at Wegmans instead of Walmart. They have lots of clothes and school supplies, computers and movies just like American Walmarts.

The thing that I went to Walmart for in the first place was medicine. I thought for sure it would be there. If not at Walmart, where would you find medicine? But when I got there, I couldn't find it! Finally I asked someone (which was really hard because I had no voice and I had to communicate in Chinese). They told me that they didn't sell medicine at Walmart...The only thing I could think was "How could you not sell medicine at Walmart!?" I was completely baffled by this fact. No medicine in a Walmart seems so strange to me. Not to mention the fact that I really wanted medicine for my throat so I can talk!

So after walking around a bit more, I bought a few things and then headed home. Jing Jing asked my host dad to bring home some medicine for me, and then she made us dinner. We had rice; cooked egg, tomato, and cucumber; and some cabbage-like vegetable tonight. Everything was really good again.

The other night I had my first apple since being in China, and it was delicious! I also had my first bowl of cereal the other morning, which is not as good as in America but it was still nice to have. Today I bought some apples and bananas, so tomorrow for lunch I'll be taking an apple with me. I can't wait to finally eat some more fruit.

明天见!

1 comment:

  1. No medicine at Walmart?! That is weird! The food bar sounds interesting. What kinds of foods did they serve?
    You are very adventurous. Not only to strike out on your own, but with no voice! Still keeping those good thoughts for you to feel better!
    By the way, are you taking note of how to prepare the great meals you are having with your host family?

    ReplyDelete