Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 3: July 29, 2011

Today I had my first class. It went pretty well, I guess. My teacher spoke in Chinese the whole time, and kind of fast, so it was often hard to understand what she way saying. Other than that, I think it went okay. I am surprised that I’m the only American in my class. There are a lot of students from Italy, a few from Japan, one from Indonesia, one from Hong Kong. When I was done with class, I walked around and went to a supermarket. They had really interesting things, like a lot of different kinds of meat. I saw some pig feet and chicken feet, and a lot of things that I didn’t recognize. Then there were a lot of spices and beans/seed type things in large barrels. I found some Skippy peanut butter, and some cereal like Cornflakes and Cheerios. The containers were similar to that in the US, but there was Chinese writing on them too.

After I walked around, I went back to the university because I had a tutor at 2. We met at the cafeteria and he reviewed the lesson I did earlier that day with me. I had to translate things, answer questions, and make my own questions and statements. Then we practiced speaking in Chinese and conversing for a little bit.

When my tutoring was done, 我回家。(I went home.) 妈妈(momand 姐姐 (sister) were home, and we talked a little then 我休息。(I took a break/rested.) 爸爸(dad) came home around 7 and Jing Jing made dinner. We had 馒头(mantou=buns), 青菜(qingcai=green leaf vegetable),土豆 (tudou=potato),汤跟蛋和黄瓜 (tang gen dan he huang gua= soup with egg and cucumber)Everything was delicious, especially the potatoes.

Tomorrow I am growing to the Great Wall (长城). Then on Sunday I am having dinner with my Chinese teacher from the US. I will post pictures of the Wall tomorrow.

明天见!(See you tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment