Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 1: July 27, 2011


I arrived in Beijing today after a long 14 hour flight. Surprisingly I didn’t get scared on the plane, when originally I thought I was going to freak out. The actual scary part was when I got out of the airport and had to go meet my family. I was excited but terrified.
I was so scared when I got to the home because it wasn’t what I expected. I pictured the whole family there to welcome me, but I was greeted by the mother only. She was nice and welcoming, and offered me tea. I almost forgot that I was in another country because the airport seemed so normal, but when I reached the house it freaked me out because everything is so different here. But that’s not a bad thing, it’s just something I’m not used to yet. I called my mom and almost started crying because it was so overwhelming when I got here.

But after introductions, I got to see my room. There are anime posters everywhere! We went to try to exchange money, but the banks were closed. I spent the rest of the day settling in and meeting the rest of the family. My host father seems nice as well, and the daughter is a year older than me and can speak English pretty well, so that will help a lot if I have questions. The family I’m staying with also has a white cat, which is currently sitting on my bed as I write this xD.

The first day hasn’t been too rough. I did get a little sad when I thought about how far away I am from home, but I know I can get through it. Tomorrow I’m going to take a placement test to figure out which level of courses I will be taking while here. Then an orientation with my program and an outing. Hopefully the day won’t be too stressful. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment